Monday 17 October 2011

Papas Barn, Maidstone

Papas Barn is a Fish & Chip Restaurant and takeaway in the Ditton area of Maidstone.  We have been driving past it for years now but have never stopped to go in.  Last year it unfortunately burnt down and was shut for a long time.  The owners took the opportunity to rebuild it bigger and better than the original establishment.

A couple of weeks ago Craig and I decided it was about time we took a drive over to Ditton to have fish & chips for tea.  When we arrived the attached car park was very busy but luckily for us there was one space left.  We wanted to sit in the restaurant part to have our dinner and there were a couple of free tables.  The decor was very bright and fresh and modern and I noted very clean.  The atmosphere was buzzing and the smell coming from the kitchens made our mouths water.

Any thoughts of dieting went straight out of the window, we were in a fish & chip shop after all!  I decided to go for plain and simple cod and chips.  I was really worried I would end up with a piece of fish the size of a small whale however I was pleased that my fish was a very manageable size to eat.  The batter was very crisp and hot and not too thick. Sometime it can be a bit stodgy but not in this case.  I had a wedge of lemon dipped in parsley to squeeze over the fish which I duly did.  The chips were delicious and just how chip shop chips should be (but often aren't).


Craig ordered one of his favourites, Rock and Chips.  Rock has a big bone through it.  Last time he had it in a fish & chip shop it was raw in the middle so he hoped that this time there would be no problems.  He needn't have worried as the fish was cooked perfectly.  Again his batter was crisp and hot and very light.  He didn't have the lemon but he did have a little pot of tartare sauce (which he hates so he didn't try it)


The food was great, the service was good and the atmosphere was buzzing.  We really enjoyed our meal at Papas Barn and its somewhere we intend to return to (occasionally) if we fancy fish & chips for tea. We got chatting to the manager and he told us that they also open for breakfast and morning coffee and cakes.  Unfortunatly there is no website so I cant post a link.

Papas Barn
497 London Road
Ditton
ME20 6DB
Maidstone

Sharon x

4 comments:

  1. I just found your review of Papas when searching for the address for the restaurant. I've been there several times before, even before the new place was built. It really is the highest quality fish and chips I have ever tasted. And really good value too. I just thought I'd let you know they do have a small website: http://www.papasbarn.co.uk/ :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm - if I got served fish and chips like that plate I'd complain - a skanky bit of fish, struggling to find a space on the edge of the plate besides a mountain of chips - I have seen bigger scampi !!!

    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey
    I've been going to them for years and there is no way they serve skanky fish. It's always top draw x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the yellow chips are great to taste and it will be a healthy dish for the dinner! I come up this one !http://www.chefonline.co.uk/Restaurantlist/restaurantMenu/Mughal%20Dynasty since I like that food and hope you like too!

    ReplyDelete