Monday 16 January 2012

A Simple Breakfast.......with a fantastic view - Botanical Cafe, Kings Park

We are now into our second full week of living in Perth and now that James has got a gym membership, this is leaving me a bit of time to myself.

This mornings task was to go to the Medicare office and get registered, unfortunately it turned out that I was unable to do this task without my two boys in tow.  So armed with the forms to fill in and some leaflets to read I found myself with a spare couple of hours to fill while James worked on pumping up his ever expanding muscles!

We are fortunate enough to be living temporarily across the road from Kings Park which has to be the most stunning park I have ever seen. It has the added bonus of having an awesome view of the Perth city skyline and the Swan River.


I headed up to the park and left the car along Fraser Avenue and walked up to the Botanical Cafe looking for coffee and breakfast.  I was pleased to find the place had lots of tables free both inside and out however there were enough people in the place to give it atmosphere.  I decided I wanted to sit inside, although its an open sided cafe so it was like being outside anyway.  On the way to my chosen table (the one with a newspaper conveniently left behind) I noticed some of the food others were eating.  In particular the Raspberry Pancakes with Rhubarb Stew and Vanilla Gelato, and Warm Scones served with double cream and Strawberry Jam both looked delicious and made my mouth water. However in an effort not to consume my body weight in calories I decided to stick with coffee and toast.

So first the coffee, back in the UK I had though I was really into coffee and considered myself a bit of an addict, however since lining down under I now realise I know nothing about this subject and I have alot to learn.  So for now I am sticking with a trusted cappuccino which you cant go far wrong with. I always drink it skinny as I cant stomach full fat milk. They present their coffees beautifully over here but then again all the baristas have had proper training I believe.



To go with my coffee I ordered Sourdough Toast with butter & preserves.  My choice of preserve was Australian Honey which I adore on toast. I had two little pots, one for each slice!



The toast came as two huge slices with four little individual portions of butter. These had already melted a little but no matter.  The sourdough had a lovely chewy texture with a good crunch and that lovely sharp  taste of sourdough.


The cafe has a lovely atmosphere and an amazing view of the park and the city skyline beyond.



While I was there the breakfast menus were taken away and replaced with the lunch menus. One or tow tables ordered from this while I was there and everything I saw looked delicious.

I really enjoyed spending an hour at The Botanical Cafe with my coffee and the papers (I forgot to fill the forms in!!). I'm looking forward to going back another time with Craig in tow to check out the lunch menu.  But for now I have a feeling this is going to become my cafe of choice for the next few weeks until we move away from the city into a house.



Botanical Cafe Web site

Sharon x

2 comments:

  1. How sad is this - 2 Pom's who know nothing about Aussie food commenting on as little as toast and honey. My dear you really need to get out more, in every sense of the expression, and have a broader experience of Aussie life and culture, including food, before spouting off about it

    Julz VdB

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your articles don’t beat around the bushes exact t to the point.
    breaking news

    ReplyDelete